Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Children's List

I would like to share my list of children's books that I highly recommend! After being in the classroom many many times, I have gaines lots of experience and knowledge. Well, I don't want to lose that knowledge! SO I have created a list to help me remember which books I should use one day.

  1. The Winter Room by Gary Paulsen. This book is realistic fiction and is written in first person narrative. Mrs. Cochran liked this book because it has descriptive scenes and is very well-written. It will probably attract male readers because it is based upon two young boys.
  2. A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck. This book is great to read because it has a bunch of short stories and it is from the point-of-view of a young brother and sister.
  3. Wringer by Jerry Spinelli. Jerry is an excellent author and is well-known for writing young adult books. Other works by Jerry include Maniac Magee and Stargirl.
  4. Onion John by Joseph Krumgold. This book is very humorous. It also would attract young male readers and the events are realistic.
  5. Old Yeller by Fred Gipson. This is one of my favorite books. I remember reading it in 7th grade and I plan on using this book in my own classroom and a required reading.
  6. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman would work for free reading or a book club. It has serious issues such as “constant whippings” and people being beaten.
  7. My Side of the Mountain by Jean George. I have never read this book, but we have looked at it as a class in one of my other education classes. I know the book starts out with a boy who lives in the mountains, and he does not know how long he has been there. It seemed interesting, and I wanted to keep reading.
  8. Sarah, Plain, and Tall by Patricia MacLauchlan. Sarah is a girl that is sent to replace a family’s mother because she has passed away after giving birth. Sarah can sing and she is plain and tall. I think I can recall reading this book, but I am not sure.
  9. Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff. I just finished reading this book for another education class and it is excellent. It is about a young girl who is an orphan, basically, for her whole life. She is passed around from family to family and is seeking to be loved.  
  10. Holes by Louis Sachar. Everyone has heard of this book and it is a classic! Mrs. Cochran and I both agree that middle school students should be exposed to reading this book. It has some funny scenes and characters with unique nicknames.


No comments:

Post a Comment